Skip directly to content

Non-immigrant Visas

The following are some of the common types of non-immigrant visas with which we have substantial experience:

B-1/B-2 Visas for Temporary Visitors for Business or Pleasure
B visas are used for travel to the US for business or pleasure. B-1 business visitor visas are used for brief visits and allow employment only with foreign employers. B-2 visitor visas are for leisure visitors to the US. B visa visitors may not work for US employers. Nationals of certain countries are permitted to visit the US for up to 90 days without a visa through the visa waiver program.
E-1 - Treaty Trader / E-2 - Treaty Investor Overview:
E Visas for Traders and Investors Investors / traders and their employees may receive status to carry on their businesses in the US if the applicant’s home country has a commercial treaty with the United States conferring such eligibility; the US sponsoring employer is majority-owned by nationals of the applicant’s home country; and the applicant will work in a specialized or managerial position. The E-1 treaty trader visa requires proof of substantial trade between the sponsoring employer and the applicant’s country. The E-2 treaty investor visa requires proof of an investment in the sponsoring employer.
F-1 - Academic Student Overview: F-1
Applicants enrolling in a full course of study at an educational institution in the United States may be eligible for F-1 status for the course of their study and a period for practical training (P/T) in their field.

H-1B - Specialty Occupation Overview: H1B
Professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent through work experience in a specialized field may be eligible for H-1B status if the position requires that particular degree. The employer must demonstrate that it requires the specialized services of the applicant and that the applicant will be paid at least the prevailing wage for the job.

I Visas - Representatives of foreign media
The I Visa is available to media employees including reporters, freelance journalists and film crew members.  I visas are available to individuals only to work for a foreign media outlet or a US-based subsidiary of a foreign media company.  The applicant’s employer must offer a letter detailing the applicant’s position.

The applicant’s spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible for a derivative I status.  Additionally, the I visa holder’s spouse or children may visit the US with a B-2 visa or through the Visa Waiver Program.

J - Exchange Visitor Overview: J-1 Visas
Individuals coming to the US through an approved exchange program may be eligible for a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. J-1 visas may be used for students, scholars, job trainees, faculty, professors, research scholars, specialists, medical residents, government visitors, and other trainees. Some J-1 visas require that the beneficiary spend at least two years outside of the US before being permitted to change to a different nonimmigrant visa or to permanent residency.

K - Fiancé/e of US Citizen Overview: K Visas
The Fiancé/e of a US citizen is eligible for a nonimmigrant visa in order to marry within 90 days of entry to the US.
L - Intra Company Transferee Overview: L-1 Visas | Blanket L-1 Petitions
L-1 visas are available to executives, managers and specialized employees moving to their employers’ US affiliate sites. Executives and managers with valid L-1 status may be eligible for permanent residency through an accelerated application process without the need for a labor certification.
O-1, O-2 - Extraordinary Ability Overview: O visas
The O category is set aside for aliens of “extraordinary” ability in the arts, sciences, athletics, education, or business, certain aliens accompanying or assisting those aliens, and their family members.
P-1, P-2, P-3 - Athletes and Group Entertainers Overview: P-3 Visas for Artists or Entertainers
P visas are for athletes, artists, and entertainers that do not meet the “extraordinary” ability requirement to be classified in the O category. P- 1 visas are for artists and entertainers. P-2 visas are applied to aliens in an exchange program. P-3 visas are reserved for individuals involved in “culturally unique” programs
R - Religious Vocation or Profession
Religious workers include ordained clergy and those who have taken religious vows, as well as religious professionals, such as choral directors, and teachers of religion.
TN - Trade NAFTA Professionals
The TN category is a special visa category for nationals of Canada and Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). TN-2 visas are available for dependents of TN-1 visa holders.